Skip to main content

Easier than Apple Pie

As much as I love pie, I cannot make a pie crust to save my life.  I have tried and tried and tried, and have accepted I am just not destined to be pie baker.  So, I decided to come up with my version of an apple pie, and it's easy... easier than pie!

how deLISH does this look!
Easier than Apple Pie 
Remember the Bunny Food recipe that used carrot cake cake mix?  Well, since I had left overs of the mix, I decided to use it in this.  If you don't have or want to use a cake mix, just add an additional 1/2 c. of sugar and 1/2 c. of flour.

Ingredients:

  • 6 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used Gala and McIntosh apples)
  • 1 c. carrot cake cake mix
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 stick of melted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. Nutmeg, Cinnamon & Chinese Five Spice

I have this lovely apple corer/peeler.  This amazing tool makes dealing with peeling and coring apples SO much easier.  True, it's not needed, but it LOVELY to use.  Plus, it makes these darling, pretty strands of apple peels that I could've taken a million pictures of, as the textures are great and intriguing.


Directions:
  • Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
  • Mix all the dry ingredients together.
  • Mix wet ingredients together.
  • Blend wet and dry ingredients together.
  • Set aside.
  • Lay one layer of apple slices in the bottom of a large pie dish (10")
batter covered apples

  • Cover with batter, repeat until all the apples are layered in batter.
  • Cover with remaining batter

  • Bake for 1 hour, and 10 minutes.
Isn't it pretty?

You should let it cool for about 10-15 minutes, but I couldn't wait- I had been smelling this awesome pie cooking for an hour! I HAD to break into it!
Easier than Apple Pie ala mode, drizzled in caramel sauce
SOOO yummy! SOOO easy! LOVE it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

perfection...

This morning, I took the Broiled Grapefruit Slices from yesterday that we didn't eat, removed the rind, and tossed them in a bowl, crumbing Danish Blue Cheese over them. Literally- O.M.G. SO.GOOD. Iheartgrapefruit.

Cupcake Poll!!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

For my next cupcake experience, I'm having a HARD TIME CHOOSING between these 4 cuppers. You will see why. I'm totally feeling "fall-ish", and these cuppers have my taste buds reeling, so I'm enlisting your help. Which of the following do you think I should try? #1. Chocolate Chai Spice Cupcake #2. Fresh Pumpkin Cupcakes With White Chocolate Chunks And Cream Cheese Frosting #3. Caramel Apple Cupcakes #4. S’mores Cupcakes Can't wait to hear your choices!

Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes w/ Browned Butter Icing

Recipes: Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes Topping: 1c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. butter, 24 pineapple chunks Cake:  1-2/3 c. flour, 3/4 t. vanilla, 1T. nutmeg 3/4 t. b. powder, 1/2 t. salt, 1-3/4 c. sugar, 1 c. Butter Crisco, 4 eggs, 3/4 c. sour cream, 1 T. cinnamon 1T. ground cloves Topping: melt in small saucepan brown sugar & butter till dissolved & bubbly. spoon small amt. into cupcake liners and place 1 pineapple in center of liner. Preheat oven to 350 F° Mix cake together and spoon batter into liners almost full. Bake about 1 hour or till toothpick comes out clean. *option- dip tops in icing recipe below MAKE DOUBLE BATCH OF ICING!!! Browned Butter Icing 1/2 c. butter 1-1/2 t. vanilla 3 c. confectioners sugar 2-6T milk Heat butter in saucepan over med. heat till light brown color. Stir in c. sugar 1 cup at a time w/ vanilla & milk till desired consistency. Beat till smooth & spreadable. Spread on cuppies while still quite warm. y...